Sage Business Expert, Joanne Dewberry, talks about Black Friday and what small businesses can do to get involved.
You might wistfully remember back to being woken up early or even setting your alarms, to sit outside shops ready to bag your self a bargain or two in the Boxing Day Sales, queuing outside in a post Christmas haze. Not any more, Black Friday was the biggest shopping day of the 2014. The idea being to kick start our Christmas gift shopping with a plethora of offers, discounts and one off bargains. Black Friday is the 27 November 2015 and offers generally run until Monday 30 November.
Black Friday blunders
Blighted by bad publicity and injuries through shopper meltdowns in ASDA last year over one-day only special deals. The Supermarket change announced this week that they will not be involved with Black Friday, instead opting to spread £26 million in savings across their stores.
How to get involved
For smaller independent businesses, especially online where your shop is effectively open 24 hours a day, taking part couldn’t be easier. But like anything you need a strategy and a campaign.
- Be Specific : Instead of having an overall discount giving customers a huge range to choose from, place 2 or 3 items on offer. Maybe look at having a different offer each day from the 27th-30th Also limited the available amount helping to sparking interest, fear of missing out and desire from potential customers.
- Start teasing customers NOW : Don’t leave everything to last minute! Start creating an interest in the products and your offers as soon as with carefully scripted hints and images.
- Preparation : Make sure you have adequate stock and the levels are correct in your shop. Prepare your offers or discounts in advance and put them on hold until 27th this will save you valuable time and keep your campaign on track
- Use Social Media : Although it’s still a bit weird on Facebook, most social media platforms embrace hashtags, twitter and instagram especially where its the most used search facility. Use the hashtag #BlackFriday to promote and drive traffic to your offers. Save yourself some time and use scheduling facilities such as Twuffer, Buffer and Facebook to promote your offer every hour over your campaign.
- Have something special for regular customers : Send a newsletter out to your regular customers with a discount/offer just for them! Making them feel valued.
Will you be holding a Black Friday offer? Share your tips in the comments below?
At Sage we’re offering some great deals on software for small businesses over the Black Friday period, be sure to come back on Monday 23 November to check them out.